The International Trade Blog Export Compliance
Help! How to Get Leadership on Board with Your Export Procedures
On: September 27, 2017 | By: David Noah | 2 min. read
What does it take to be successful with export compliance? Well, if you want a functional, successful export compliance program, it’s non-negotiable to have all of the following bases covered:
- You need to understand what export compliance means.
- You must write and follow an export management and compliance program (EMCP).
- You must have documentation that shows you’re following your EMCP.
And, in order to get to the point of having a successful export procedure program, you also need to have one more thing—total buy-in from your executive team about your company’s export shipment procedures and export control procedures. This is one of the common pieces of advice we hear from those in the industry, but it’s easier said than done.
And this is where it gets tricky. I talk to exporters all the time, and many of them ask me the same exact question:
How can I get my team on board with export procedures and export compliance when I’m not in charge?
Whether you’re a compliance manager or you’re simply tasked with keeping your exporting company compliant, this question is one you may have faced. And what’s your answer? Do you have one?
We’re putting the question out there to all the readers of this blog:
- What has worked for your company? What suggestions do you have for other exporters in getting buy-in for export compliance?
- Managers, what have you done to get your team on board with your export compliance program in the real world?
- If you’re a senior leader, what convinced you to get on board with export compliance?
Please let us know your thoughts so we can help other exporters address these issues. Just email me back at email@example.com. In a couple of months, we’ll write a blog post based on the answers you send us—so the more details you can provide, the better!
You can also tweet me your answer (hashtag #emcpsuccess), or leave a comment at the bottom of this article. I can’t wait share what we learn from your experiences with thousands of other exporters who read this blog!
About the Author: David Noah
David Noah is the founder and president of Shipping Solutions, a software company that develops and sells export documentation and compliance software targeted at U.S. companies that export. David is a frequent speaker on export documentation and compliance issues and has published several articles on the topic.